Tuesday 23 October 2012

MADNESS. Good Stuff some have missed the Really Good things Coming



Sometimes I wonder if I’m living in the same time frame and World as some other people.  Perhaps I am going completely gaga since turning into my sixtieth year.  Good job the medics are going to set about checking out the wiring system in the brain. 
Why do I say this?  Well, I sent someone I thought to be friend a text.  It was very simple, basically, “watcha mate what were your numbers on Saturday night?” or words very close to this.
The reply was astounding.  An Email sent by his Company Administrator querying why I wanted to know – and then giving a formal general statement that made no mention of the number. 
Am I going completely mad? why should information that I could simply get from the barman be so sensitive?  The brain boggles (well we know that about me, don’t we?)   

Why do I mention this?  The immediate reason is that currently I’m running on an extremely short fuse and reacting badly to things that don’t fit.  Might be the medic stuff stress, or the medication, I don’t know.  So to those who have been catching the bombs who feel they did not deserve it I apologise and steps have been taken to protect you.    

But just to show equality in this, and given the wonderful attendances at some of the Fringe Events this year that I’ve boasted about, let me say that number wise Friday’s one man Theatre was a complete and abject failure,  seven. 

The performance of Tina and Matt "A Poor Prospect: Tales From The Workhouse" was I’m told World Class, and I believe that a recording was made, so hopefully we’ll see the results of that in the not too distant future.  And of course we have apologised to Stan Skinny.

There are reasons for this abject failure, but now is not the time or place to go into it.

So it’s good to report that on Saturday we had a reasonable turn out for an evening of Blues with the Tom Killner Band at The Charters, brilliantly supported by The Blind Dead McJones Band.   And WOW the standard of music was simply brilliant.  At one point the two Bands came together for a nine minute long jam, and you can listen and see this on the Video and Picture page HERE  Along with other snippets from the Fringe Festival.

Also on Saturday I went along to the Afternoon debut performance of BOT at The Trades Club.  I really have to take my Masher Cap off to Eddie and the boys and girls of the Company.  In a very short period of time they have put together performances of true class from McBeth through to some modernised classic Comedy sketches.   It’s clear that they have worked really hard.

And this is not a Dickie creep bit;  BOT is a fantastic project, and while I know they are working hard on a production of Billy Liar which is due in the Spring of 2013, I hope that they will keep their doors open and allow grassroots Thespians  to join and develop within their ranks.

I know that Eddie and BOT are rightly very jealous of their independence. As is RAE.  It is also my hope that they will not isolate themselves from the rest of the Arts Community in Rotherham, and in fact become an essential and lively part of it.
Much delayed due to marches and setting up but the first of the Saturday Brunch Clubs happened last Saturday with David Kidman in the Chair.   I’m told the in common with most of the events held at the Festival Gallery this year, the walk through was not fantastic, yet pleasing to report that artists had a great time.

This Saturday 27th between 11 and 3:30ish there will be an absolutely fantastic line up of artists making guest appearances, once again under the guise the Brunch Club.  Heather Woodhead, winner of the Wath Festival Seniors award, Ian Whitehead, Diamond Dac, Rob and John (never to be missed) and many, many more.

The Acoustic Rotherham Festival Special at The Queens due 28th October HAS BEEN CANCELLED  as I cannot be hands on for the event and it’s a little unfair to ask someone to take the job on – although typically I did try.

So coming up at the Fringe this next seven days or so……………

Wednesday 24th October    Wednesday Acoustic Club, Phillip Hartley  Sheffield's top singer song writer in the Chair introduces local heroes Mark Hearne and Nic Harding + a surprise depending on the weather, will be gathering at the Old Market Gallery.   As it’s the last one please pop along and give some support to these gallant troopers.

Tuesday 30th October     It’s John McCullagh (that’s he who wrote Dance on The Grave of Mrs Thatcher), Alan McGee who built Creation Records and discovered Oasis upon the way, John’s Son, John Lennon McCullagh making his UK debut, Phil Sinclair local song writing talent, and making for a real mix of music Special Effects will be rocking the house.    So something for everyone.   It’s happening at The Charters.

Wednesday 31st October    We are really lucky to have Sheedyfrost to play at the Fringe Festival.  Sheedyfrost are a song writing duo creating songs that tell fantastic stories, against melodies that singers love.  Many of their Songs have been covered; locally Tina and Matt who provide the support for the evening have been known to sing The Refugee as a standard part of their repertoire.  I know people worry about coming along to an act that they have not seen before, but this one I can fully recommend and as they are coming from the other side of the Mountains  to join us at The Charters, it would be good to make them feel welcome.   Please go and check their music out HERE 

Their Web Site is HERE

TICKETS WERE PUBLISHED AT £5  - As it’s more important for us to get bums of on seats we’re cutting £2 off the price of a ticket.  Tickets on the door are now only £3.

We’ll also be making a presentation to Karen Gilmore for all her excellent art work throughout 2012 for RAE Festivals

What nothing on Saturday?  I hear you saying.  Well we aren’t going to put ourselves up against the ghost Pirates of Papa  Legba’s at The Bridge……….  Hohoho and a bottle of rum for Rachel. 

I’m afraid I have no more information about the rumoured NF Rally in Rotherham this Saturday 27th, if anything passes across my Inbox I’ll pass it on, assuming I can play with my keyboard. 

I was though intrigued by a headline in the Advertiser which read something like "Police Praised".  Given the huge amount of criticism concerning the Police about the expense and scale of their operation for the EDL March in Rotherham I was keen to see who was throwing all this praise around............ ah no other than the Chief Constable.  Nothing like self congratulatory praise; even worse than the Masher's I think.   

So that’s the week so far. 

Back I hope at the weekend with loads of stuff that has got lost under the mound of Fringe Festival stuff. 

So if you want to catch up -  Pictures from the Wednesday Sessions HERE  Pictures and Video from the other Fringe Events with a few Video cuttings HERE Festival Event Diary HERE Listings pages HERE 

Whatever you are doing this next week, have a great time, support local artists and KEEP IT LIVE

No comments:

Post a Comment